Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Longing to go, but needing to stay

Kirsten and Garret with sisters and
cousins atop Cape Kiwanda, Pacific City.
Two weeks ago today, Kirsten, Gavin and Garret set off for the U.S. to visit family in Oregon and to celebrate Kirsten's oldest sister's wedding. The last two weeks have been a refilling time for them as they have all reconnected. Gavin and Garret have had several sleep overs so far and Kirsten has been able to enjoy the Oregon coast and the beautiful weather that has been there so far, spending lots of time with family. The cooler drizzle is also welcomed weather for them as they, like I have experienced in the last few weeks, are accustomed to 85° with 90%+ humidity. Here in Honduras there are only two seasons: wet and dry. Other than that, it is pretty much sunny everyday, hot, and sticky. So drizzle, rain, and cool weather is always something that we cherish for the short times we can enjoy it.

Kirsten and boys visiting cousin Tiffany
at my parent's house.
As for me, I chose to stay back in Honduras to finish some work with teams and keep things moving ministry-wise. I will be brutally honest—I miss my family! (insert tear) The house is entirely too quiet, I don't have near enough problems to solve between siblings (none to be exact), and I miss the hugs from my little boys and wife every day.

Cousin-time at Winema Christian Camp.
Some have asked, why I didn't go with them? Not only do I have work to accomplish over the next month, but I felt God telling me NOT to go. Does he want me to be apart from my family? Does he like the fact that my heart hurts to see them? The answer is no and yes. Being apart has helped me to understand in a deeper way how God, the Father, longs to see his children come to him. It has helped me to understand why he called us as a family to Honduras. And it has helped me to appreciate the moments that we have together as a family. With our boys now in school here in La Ceiba (summer break now), Kirsten and I have more time to spend together. Of course, it wasn't always like this. When I had an 8 to 5 job, it felt normal to be away all day from Kirsten and the boys. But now that we spend nearly every day together, it has been difficult being apart!

Kirsten with her sisters.
I can understand, on a deeper level, how Paul felt when he wrote his letters to the churches he was encouraging. My family is my first ministry, so in this way it is hard to be apart. Like Paul, he longed to go and be with the people he loved. But in most cases where Paul wrote a letter like this, he was kept from going to them because of imprisonment or otherwise. Although I am not imprisoned exactly, I can understand his longing to see what he considered his family.

This time has helped me to see God's bigger plan. He has a plan to use us here in Honduras in ways that we would have never thought of. We are seeing this unfold in front of us and he has connected us with some amazing people and ministries in order to accomplish his will. And we are privileged and blessed to be a part of it.

Pray with me for Kirsten and the boys as they get refueled. Pray that current relationships here in Honduras are deepened and that future partnerships could be developed further for His purposes and that we'd be listening well. And also pray we as a family would get the time we need to talk to one another while we are apart. Thank you Lord for technology! And thank you for partnering with us in this way. We thank the Lord for his love and faithfulness to you and to us!

Blessings from the frontlines,
Corey (and Kirsten, Gavin & Garret from Oregon)

2 comments:

  1. Prays going up here my friend. Service to the King and the blessings that come through a life surrendered are amazing. Do not grow weary brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kevin! Your prayers mean so much to us. Persevering! Thanks for your encouragement too, you guys have meant a lot to us over the years!

      Delete